I. Gertrude Stein Author Presentation (15 mins)
II. Billy Collins Author Presentation (15 mins)
III. Whole class workshopping poems
- Figurative language: Looking for sensory images.
- Specific language over general language or abstractions.
- Being concise: Cutting unnecessary language.
- Line break activity: Prose poem into poem.
- Titles: Using your opportunity to deepen meaning.
- Volunteers: Whole class peer review on doc cam.
IV. Email your finished version of your poem to someone in your group to get feedback. Email me your poem draft for comment and approval for your Final Portfolio by midnight Nov. 22.
Homework: Work on final portfolio. Come to class with questions after the break. Final Portfolio will be due the last day of class, Dec. 6 or the Thursday after class ends, Dec. 8 at 8:30 am. I would recommend you exchange final portfolios with someone in your group for proofreading. Email me your poem draft for comment and approval for your Final Portfolio by midnight Nov. 22.